Not in your 20s? Don’t stop reading!
Even if you’re well into your career, networking is no doubt still integral into your future – and it NEVER hurts to go back to some basics.
I came across a Business Insider article about “7 Networking Secrets” for people in their 20s, and it got me thinking that while everyone SHOULD learn these secrets when their starting their career, many of us never did.
The point here is not to look back and say, “Oh, if I had only known this earlier!” The point is to realize how some very simple, foundational networking principles can apply to your at any point in your career.
Here’s a taste of Business Insider’s tips:
- Effective networking involves focus, attention and strategy.
- There is a direct relationship between networking strategically and increased income.
- Keeping in touch with former alums and colleagues is money in the bank.
- Paying it forward pays off.
- Collecting business cards is better than handing them out.
- Forget the elevator pitch. Find commonality.
- Don’t just network with people you like and people like you.
Check out the article for more insight into each of these tips, and let me know what you wish YOU would have learned about networking early in YOUR career!