When I came across a Huffington Post article titled 6 Networking Mistakes Women Make, I immediately got suspicious.
I wondered how these mistakes would really be different from the ones men make. As a Career Coach, the biggest networking mistakes I see people make are gender neutral.
So, before you make a judgement, look at the following 6 mistakes the article calls out:
- Not networking in the first place.
- Approach networking half-heartedly because you view networking as cheating.
- Concentrating networking within your own company.
- Making “friends” rather than connecting.
- Asking random people on LinkedIn to connect.
- Asking FROM your network before giving TO your network.
Now, are these really that specific to women? The answer is no. These are all issues that both women and men both have when it comes to networking.
HOWEVER, the writer does do a good job of applying these mistakes apply within the context of being a woman. And for that reason, I do recommend women read the article.
But if you’re a man, you will be able to gain from its wisdom as well!