Whenever you enter a new year, it’s essential to look at the category in which you work, identifying the positive trends or concerning changes that are impacting industries like yours.
- Because it’s good for your own career development to adapt and embrace change.
- Because it’s good for your own company/organization to be ahead of anything coming your way.
That being said, it’s important that we all pay attention to a recent article in which Inc. identifies 5 industries that are ripe for disruption this year.
They have a lot of good thinking (and statistical data) behind why categories like real estate and energy should be prepared for big change in 2017.
Here’s a quick look at the industries they call out:
- Mobile banking – might companies like Square inspire customers to go bankless?
- Live sports – as more people cut the cable, how will live sports leverage streaming services?
- Real estate – tech startups and new stakes are changing the real estate game.
- Energy – 86% of America’s energy supply still comes from coal, gas, or nuclear power plants, but that might change this year.
- Athletic equipment – gear is getting smarter, but needs to protect athletes’ heads better.
Read the whole article for more insight, and consider how these trends impact your organization and career development.